Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Salsa Me Silly

It's that time of year again...time for canning, preserving and creating those homemade memories to last a lifetime!  Well that's if I was Betty Crocker, which I'm not, but I try! 

This past weekend I attempted homemade salsa for the first time.  I have watched my dad make it, but I wanted to try it myself!  It worked out great!  The hubby and the kids loved it, even my 1 year old appreciated the homemade taste!


So I thought it would be fun to share the recipe!  I just made it up as I went, sorry for not having the exact measurements...

I started with a few fresh tomatoes from the garden. 

1.     Chop and peel the tomatoes.  I used about 15-20 medium sized tomatoes.

2.     Next chop 2 onions (small) and 10 cloves of garlic (I love my garlic). Place the chopped onions and garlic in a strainer.

3.     Pour a pot of boiling water (about 4 cups) over the onions and garlic in the strainer.  Let the onions and garlic cool.


4.     In a large pot combine the tomatoes, cooled onions and garlic, chopped jalapeno peppers, chili powder, cumin, a touch of sea salt, oregano and black pepper. 

5.     Stir over medium heat until the salsa boils.  Once cool, place it in a tupperware and let it sit overnight in your refrigerator. 

6.     After letting the salsa marinate overnight, place it in a food processor and slightly blend.  I prefer mine to have some chunks of tomato and peppers still visible, but if you prefer it creamy, blend it all the way! 
  


7.     Enjoy with family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment